The Society
History of Rhuddlan
Farming, Industry and Transport
Gallery
Buildings
Artefacts
People
Maps and Art
Education
Religion
Welsh Culture
Recreation and Sport
Home
Dates
Programme
Links
News
     

Railway Line, Routes and Station

Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station
Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station Rhuddlan Railway Station
Click images to enlarge

Website under construction . . .

Rhuddlan Railway Station, on a single track line with one platform, on the Vale of Clwyd Railway, connecting Rhyl to Denbigh, was opened on 5 October 1858 was on the site of the Reserve. There was a 'passing loop' at the station, so that a train coming from the opposite direction could pass-by and a goods siding was situated nearby. When the station was opened four trains ran each day. 1864 saw the London & North Western Railway take control of the Vale of Clwyd Railway and absorbed the line on 15 July 1867. In 1923 it became part of the London Midland Scottish Railway (LMS). By 1947 the station ran eight trains per day in each direction. Following nationalization in 1948 the line became part of British Railways' London Midland Region. By the 1950s, however, only two trains in each direction were in service. A feature of the Vale of Clwyd Railway line were regular 'land cruiser' trains, which took holidaymakers on scenic tours of North Wales. The station was closed to passengers on 19 September 1955, although trains continued to pass through the station, it closed completely on 4 May 1964. Some seven years ago, local residents were galvanised into protest action by a proposed recycling facility on the site. The proposal was overturned and a visionary plan to transform the derelict land into a community local nature reserve was realised.

Farming and Industry

Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional

Valid CSS!